Sunday, December 20, 2009

I am making a grocery list - can you give me some tasty vegan recipes so I can get the ingredients tomorrow?

I make a pretty good caribbean-style dish that uses a can of coconut cream (NOT MILK, has to be coconut CREAM which is completely vegan), about a third to a half bottle of Jamaican jerk sauce (add it to taste), about a cup's worth of pineapple chunks, and about a pound's worth of seitan or other protein... I prefer it to be in strips but that's just an aesthetic thing. I dice in a half cup's worth of green onions, half cup of sweet corn, one habanero pepper (which obviously you don't have to), a dash of arbol chili powder, and some Ethiopian berbere spice, which you can substitute with tumeric.





Fry up the green onions, diced pepper, and corn in a light layer of olive oil. If you have an open flame (like on a gas stove), I usually skewer the protein and sear it for a few moments, then add it and let it fry with the onions, pepper, and corn. Then, add everything else!





Simmer it all together for about a half an hour or so. I also make some black beans and rice; if I'm lazy I just do it from a mix... otherwise, I add some fresh onion and spices to it. You could easily substitute the rice with quinoa.





I serve it all in a tortilla and eat it like a burrito or wrap. Absolutely delicious... fruity and spicy at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment